Doctors indicate Cefpodoxime Proxetil Dispersible Tablets to treat various bacterial infections, such as infections of the sinus, ear, throat, skin bladder, or lungs. In addition, it is also effective in bronchitis, pneumonia, gonorrhea (sexually transmitted disease) in males and females. This medicine contains a generic drug known as Cefpodoxime (oral).
Cefpodoxime is a third-generation cephalosporin antibiotic effective against most gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria. This drug functions by stopping cell wall synthesis. It inhibits the final transpeptidation step of peptidoglycan synthesis in cell cels. This medicine has a well-established pharmacokinetic profile with 50% absorption.
Note: This medicine doesn’t work for flu, cold or viral infections. Unnecessary use of antibiotics may decrease their effectiveness or increase the risk of an infection that resists antibiotic treatment.
Precautions for Cefpodoxime Proxetil Dispersible Tablets
One can take cefpodoxime dispersible tablets in the dose and duration prescribed for the attainment of the best possible effects. In addition, you should follow the instructions written on the label and clarify doubts with the healthcare provider if have any. Further, take this medicine while adhering to official guidelines.
Be on a safer side, take these measures also –
- Swallow cefpodoxime dispersible tablets whole with food. Moreover, you may take this medicine with fluid/water.
- Take this medicine for the prescribed length of time even if you feel OK. Also, don’t skip any doses as it may increase the risk of the infection becoming resistant to the medicine.
- Do not take two doses. If you forget to take Cefpodoxime Proxetil Dispersible Tablets, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it’s time for the next dose, skip it and continue with your regular schedule.
- An individual patient should not use this medicine if ever had an allergic reaction to cephalosporin antibiotics and others. Get the list of ingredients from a pharmacist. Moreover, if you have ever had these diseases, consult your doctor before using this medicine:
- Kidney disease
- Urination problems
- An intestinal disorder like colitis
- Cefpodoxime dispersible tablets belong to the pregnancy category of “B.” Therefore, confer with the medic risks and benefits associated with the medicine before using it.
Furthermore, women should not breastfeed while taking Cefpodoxime Proxetil Dispersible Tablets. Also, it is not approved for use among anyone younger than 2 months. This medicine may cause diarrhea. However, don’t stop the treatment and inform your doctor if you have diarrhea with watery or bloody stools.
Most Common Side effects
Like other medications, Cefpodoxime Proxetil Dispersible Tablets may cause some adverse reactions. In general, those reactions are mild to moderate. Also, they fade away once your body adjusts to the medicine. However, if the caused symptoms make you worried, check with your healthcare provider.
- Stomach pain,
- Vaginal itching or discharge, etc.
Therefore, the above listed are the most common side effects of this medicine. However, if you notice any persistent or concerning side effects, such as a seizure, severe stomach pain, fever, chills, sore throat, etc. Notify your physician.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the uses of Cefpodoxime Proxetil Dispersible Tablets?
A. This medication is an oral third-generation cephalosporin antibiotic that treats urinary tract infection, gonorrhea, pneumonia, pyelonephritis, sinusitis, etc. However, it is not effective in flu, colds, or viral infections.
Q. Is Cefpodoxime Proxetil a good antibiotic?
A. Though strong antibiotics are not a good choice, this medicine is an extended-spectrum antibiotic. It is effective against a good number of antibiotics. To know more deets, consult your healthcare provider.
Q. Can I take Cefpodoxime Proxetil with milk?
A. Do not take Cefpodoxime Proxetil Dispersible Tablets with dairy products, such as milk or yogurt, or calcium-fortified foods.