The Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection is used to treat iron deficiency and anemia (deficiency of iron and hemoglobin). The medication belongs to the category of drugs called haematinics used in the treatment of iron deficiency. Anemia is a condition in which the body does not have enough red blood cells to carry the adequate oxygen required to various body tissues. The injection comprises elemental iron which is a nutritional supplement helpful in improving the quality of blood by increasing the hemoglobin. The injection is also known to have immunity-enhancing, anti-carcinogenic (preventing cancer), and cognition-enhancing properties.
Do not self-medicate the medicine and take it as per the dosage and duration prescribed by your doctor. Some users may experience side effects such as muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting, taste changes, diarrhea, constipation, headache, cough, back pain, flu symptoms, joint pain, and dizziness. Inform your doctor if you have heart/kidney/liver diseases, iron overload disorders like hemochromatosis, hemosiderosis, and intestinal problems (ulcer, colitis) before taking the medication.
Medical Benefits of Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection
The Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection is primarily used in the treatment of iron deficiency and anemia (deficiency of red blood cells and hemoglobin). The lack of iron can be caused due to the lack of sufficient nutrients in their diet, anemia, or other disorders. The injection is an iron replacement product that boosts your levels of red blood cells and reduces the symptoms of anemia such as tiredness and weakness. This medicine is given as an injection by a doctor or nurse. You should not have this medicine if your anemia is not caused by a lack of iron.
Directions for Use
Do not self-medicate the medicine. The injection shall be administered under the guidance of a nurse or your healthcare professional.
Side Effects of Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection
There are mild to moderate side effects of Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection that get resolved over time. The side effects may vary in all the users as they depend on the physiological condition and response to the treatment. In case your side effects worsen or persist immediately inform your doctor. The range of side effects of Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection are mentioned below:
- Muscle cramps
- Taste changes
- Back pain
- Flu symptoms
- Joint pain
The Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection may interact with other drugs when taken together. It can also interact with certain food items and health conditions. Do not take Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection with the following mentioned drugs, food items, and health conditions.
Interaction with Drugs
- acidity-treating medicines (esomeprazole, pantoprazole)
- thyroid disease medicines (levothyroxine)
- antibiotics, and antacids
Interaction with Food Items
- Dairy products
Interaction with Disease
- heart, liver, or kidney diseases
- intestinal problems (ulcer, colitis)
- low blood pressure
- rheumatoid arthritis
- Avoid consuming alcohol with Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection as it may interfere with the absorption of iron in the body.
- Do not take Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection without a doctor’s recommendation if you are pregnant or breastfeeding your newborn.
- Avoid driving when taking Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection as it may cause sleepiness or drowsiness.
- Keep the Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection out of reach of children and pets. Properly dispose of expired and discarded medicines.
- Store the Elemental Iron 20 mg Injection in a cool and dry place away from direct sunlight.